Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Journal Entry 11


I really enjoyed the documentary Chasing Ice. I guess since I don't live by glaciers or ice I don't really pay much mind to what is actually going on. After watching that documentary, you can't deny global warming is happening. I think as a society, most people just try to ignore the issue. They think if they don't think about it, it's not actually happening. James Balog and his team have proof of this climate change that is going on. The pictures they took were absolutely mind blowing to wrap my head around. I think once glacier moved more in a year or short time frame than it did the past decade before. I believe one guy said that the pictures are really cool to see but it is also really bad. I couldn't agree with this more. Although James is a photographer and his pictures of the glaciers were beautiful and cool to watch the transformation and the fact he got it on camera, it is a terrible transformation that is happening. Part of James' team was sent out for 2 weeks or so to watch one of the glaciers. They thought it was ridiculous "watching ice" and if it wasn't for James making them stay they would've left. They didn't though, and they got to witness one of the largest ice calvings. Which once again is super cool to say you saw that but then you realize that isn't a good thing you saw that.



Another thing I really took way from the documentary is James passion and commitment to the Extreme Ice Survey. He had I believe 3 knee surgeries and with each one he got better just to go out and hike again. Most people wouldn't do that. After their first knee surgery they would've stopped in order to take better care of their knee. However, he didn't. He got right back out there because this was something important to him and he was going to do whatever it took. I admire him for his drive and commitment and if it wasn't for that, we probably wouldn't have gotten those pictures and proof that climate change is truly happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment