Thursday, February 16, 2017

Journal Entry 4



At first I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from a walk around Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve. I was really only hoping that I was going to be able to se a gator. At first an few elderly people said they could see one but they were using binoculars. I also have terrible eyesight so I knew I was definitely not going to get to see the gator. However at the very end of our field trip I got to see the gator sunbathing. It was still a little far away for my eyes to see and my picture quality isn't the best but that was my favorite part. I was disappointed by the small amount of wild life we saw throughout our


walk. We did get to see some turtles, the black bird that sits with his wings out so they can dry, and some type of woodpecker. I don't exactly remember their correct names. Another thing that really stuck out to me was the white circular spots all over the cypress trees. I cant remember exactly what it is called but I know it is caused by the air quality. I think it was on every tree there and there were lots of them on each tree. The thing the interested me the most about it was how perfectly circular they were. It was "dry season" when we went so the water levels weren't very high. At the beginning I could see the ground but as you got deeper there was some water. I think the water levels positively affect the plants and animals that live there because it helps them thrive and they have adapted to it and rely on it. The Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve is a unique place in SWFL because anyone is welcome there. Whether you are doing research, want to learn more, or are just there for pure enjoyment you are welcome to go there. It is also great to be able to have places such as this that truly captures the beauty of Florida and what the environment has to offer instead of using it for a more industrialized place. These places are becoming more rare. I don't think that we would have many conservation lands if they only relied on private funds because unfortunately I don't think there would be enough money and I am starting to see how important places like these are to have and I think it is okay to use tax dollars to purchase and help preserve these parts of the land, I don't know how much longer we can live if we no longer have these.

No comments:

Post a Comment