Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Journal Entry 5

Monday February 20, 2017

Breakfast:
1 packet of Quaker instant strawberries and cream oatmeal- purchased from Publix then put together myself at home
1 cup of coffee- brewed in Keurig, K-cup purchased from Publix

Snack:
2 Quaker chocolate crunch rice cakes, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 1 medium sized banana- all purchased from Publix then put together myself at home
1 8oz glass of water- from fridge

Lunch:
Buffalo chicken pita- pre-made at Pita Pit
2 8oz glasses of water- from fridge

Dinner:
Chicken breast, asparagus, tomatoes, and pesto- all purchased from Publix then put together myself at home
2 8oz glasses of water- from fridge

Snack:
2 cups of strawberries- purchased from Publix
1 8oz glass of water- from fridge

Estimated Total Caloric Intake: 1,488 according to https://www.drgily.com/the-calorie-counter.php

I get most of my food from Publix, the grocery store and don’t really think much about where it comes from besides that. I usually try to buy “healthier” food from the grocery store and try to not eat out unless I am too busy. I ate Quaker products for breakfast and a snack and when doing research they get their products from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It had to travel a long way but they are non-perishable items so they don’t go bad quickly. They were packaged in cardboard and plastic. After watching the documentary in class I was curious where the chicken I eat comes from. When doing research the chicken I eat from Publix is their brand GreenWise which is raised in Florida which makes me feel better that it isn’t Tyson but the chicken I got in my Pita or when I am out to eat I have no idea where it comes from.

I would say my food choices are somewhat sustainable. They could be worse, I think getting the Publix brand of chicken is better than getting chicken from some other grocery store. I also believe that since we are in Florida and have the ability to produce most fruits and vegetables year round helps with picking more sustainable produce from the grocery store. However I wish I had the time to go to local farmer markets to purchase my fruits and vegetables. I think that would be more sustainable and it also helps out local businesses and farmers versus big corporations.


No comments:

Post a Comment